Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Eggplant saute

There are many variations of eggplant saute in Ukraine. This one is my version I do for years. I like my version because it's close to simple, tasty and of course healthy. Here it is.
As you see on a picture, I served it along with falafel (o, so good but not Ukrainian cuisine, I'll post recipe under another category). By the way, I have no idea where this "pot hole" in the falafel got from..

Eggplant saute

2 medum eggplants (diced roughly, I don't bother myself to peel it and salt it to get rid of bitterness because I tried and can't tell the difference! So, just wash and dice)
2 yellow peppers (diced roughly)
2 red peppers (diced roughly, green pepper works also)
1 big onion (peeled and diced roughly)
1 small can of tomato paste (fresh tomatoes can be used instead but for some reason paste works better)
2-3 bay leaves
about 1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar (I like to use jaggery - cane sugar pieces I get from Indian store :))
some flavorless olive oil for frying

- Cook eggplant in olive oil until golden but not definitely cooked through. Add some salt during cooking.
- In a separate pan, cook both peppers until golden but not definitely cooked through (too :)). Salt it a bit.
- In a separate pan, cook onion until just started to brown, add tomato paste and some 3-4 cups of water. Cook and stir until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a large pot, put together cooked eggplant, cooked pepper, pour onion/tomato mix over it, add bay leaves, some salt to taste and simmer half-covered for about 15 minutes. Add sugar, taste it and add some more if needed. It should taste slightly "sweet-n-sour". Cook for another 10-20 minutes until eggplant is soft and buttery in texture. Done! Serve sold or slightly warm.

This eggplant sautee is realy good with falafel and also on a top of nice piece of rustic bread smothered with nice hummus. Try this combination - you'll be hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!