Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What's for Dinner - Salmon Rice Salad

As for most our dinners on one hand I needed to use up something that already was screaming in a fridge "eat me up". On another hand I follow my inner voice transferring commands from my body's chemical processes with specific requests known as cravings. Today my inner scream was not very loud but pretty certain: Give me fish. Combined with voice from fridge, from rice cooked day before, it gave me this idea - rice salad with canned Wild Alaskan Salmon. So, here it is.

4/25/2012
Salmon Rice Salad

Recipe

Serves 2 as a main dish

Ingredients:

1 can of Wild Alaskan Salmon (do not drain it just roughly smash it with a fork)
2 cups of cooked cold rice
10-15 baby carrots (finely diced or grated)
3 celery stalks (finely diced)
4 tbs of chopped chives or green onion
4 tbs finely diced sweet onion
4 tbs mayonnaise
1 tbs Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

- Toss all together and enjoy with something pickled - kimchi (as you see from my picture), or actual pickles. Something crispy as croutons or bread crisps (again, look at my picture above) doesn't hurt either! Enjoy!



Some Tips:

- do not discard liquid from canned salmon - mix it in a salad. Without this liquid you would need to put much more mayonnaise in salad to moisten your rice.

- chop celery leaves into your salad also, especially if it's young ones, from a middle of a celery bunch.

 -if you don't have sweet onion on hands, regular onion can be used. In this case, get rid of extra bitterness by placing diced onion in a strainer, blanching with a boiling water, then cooling it down with cold tap water.

- add some salt or spices if the salad is too mild for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!