Thursday, June 7, 2012

Korean Shrimp Pancakes

Blog's Category: International, My Staple Food

This was the love "from the first sight".  Savory pancake with shrimp, with an awsome sauce that I tends to put now on everything that I eat - this dish would be a strong candidate for me to answer trivial question "what would you have for your last meal?" - yeaaa, it's this good! Are you ready? Get ingredients and start to cook - no regrets, I promise. 


Korean Shrimp Pancakes

Serves 4

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour1/2 c rice flour (not glutinous rice flour)
1+1 c water

1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

1/3 tsp soda
8 oz raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 carrot, grated
1 zucchini (optional), grated

3 green onions or chives, thinly sliced
oil for frying

Dipping sauce:

4 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs vinegar
2 tsp red pepper (powdered)
1/2 tbs minced garlic
2 tsp sesame seed
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp brown sugar

- First, prepare dipping sauce by combining all sauce ingredients. Make sure sugar is dissolved. If not - warm sauce up for a few seconds in a microwave and stir again.

- In a large bowl, combine flours, salt, soda and baking powder together.

- In a separate bowl, whisk lightly egg and 1 cup of water.

- Add egg mix to your flour mix and stir it nicely. Slowly, add remaining 1 cup of water, keep stirring to get it smooth. The consistency should be something in between heavy cream and yogurt.  Add more water if needed or stop adding water if consistency is right.

- Add in the chopped shrimp, grated vegetables, and green onions.

- Fry pancakes on a both sides, on a nonstick skillet with a generous amount of olive oil - you will get nice and crispy pancakes.

- Serve with a dipping sauce. I like to use teaspoon to drop a bit of sauce on the pancake area that I aimed for the next bite - mmmmmmmmmmyam!


Some Tips

- Use roasted sesame seeds. If you buy sesame seeds in a regular grocery store, they are probably already roasted. I like to buy mine raw in Chinese stores and roast them by myself on a dry frying pan - it's fast easy and much more tastier.

- Keep your raw or roasted sesame seeds in a freezer - all seeds have a lot of good fat in it and got rancid with time. I always keep my seeds and nuts in a freezer door - then they never got spoiled or change their taste :).
*********************************************************************************************************************************
IN PICTURES

I put some extra sesame seeds in my sauce just because I love this stuff and it's very healthy (a lo-o-o-t of calcium).
Adding second cup of water to the initial thick batter..

Final consistency of the batter.

This time I didn't have any zucchini on hands - pancakes were still great!


Final batter, with all ingredients in.

Let it brown up nicely, then flip it over.

To speed up a process, I usually use two skillets simultaneously. I have made one big pancake on this skillet, and three smallish ones on another.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!