Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sauteed Cabbage Melange

Blog's Category: My Staple Food

Sautéed Cabbage Mélange



Intro
When I want to use up some vegetable that are crying to be used in my fridge, when I shouldn't stick to any particular recipe ingredient list, when I just crave some warm vegetables to pile over my rice, I cook something like this. It just happened that combination of vegetables I had this time was nearing the perfect. Cabbage, both, red and white, is a queen of the dish. Other ingredients are supporting players which let the queen to shine even more. Looks like my "cabbage love" is starting to spill all over again..sorry :)

Variations
- There are as many variations as many vegetables in a world in geometric progression (factorial ? - it was many-many years since my last high-math exams :)) Virtually any combination of vegetables placed in a hot pan in certain order (or all together!), spruced up with a little salt, pepper, splash of vinegar and optional sugar dash, will do the thing.
Taste Description
Taken from the heat before vegetables become completely soft, still with some "tooth in it", this sautee will bring up warm and homey feelings in you.  It's just slightly spicy, delicately sweet-and-sour-y, softly flavorful..well...deliciously satisfying!

How to Serve
I have cooked it to pair it with my jasmine rice. Also (probably it's even better) I like to pile it over freshly cooked pasta. As separate side to any kind of fish or meat, it will work perfectly too.

Sautéed Cabbage Mélange


For about 5 servings: 

1 large onion, roughly diced
1/2 small red/purple cabbage, cut in medium-size chunks
1/2 small regular cabbage, cut in medium-size chunks
1 green (yellow or red) pepper, roughly diced
3 carrots, roughly diced
20-30 grape tomatoes
fresh parsley, chopped
salt and black pepper to taste
juice of 1/2 lime ( or 2 tbs vinegar)
3 bay leaves
1tsp sugar (optional, to your taste)
3-6 tbs olive oil

- On a large skillet with olive oil, on a low-medium heat, cook onion until translucent.
- Add bay leaves and following vegetables as you cut/dice/chop them in this order: carrots, pepper, cabbages, stirring occasionaly. You can raise your heat to medium now.
-  Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, lime juice and sugar and cook for some 5-10 minutes more or just to your desired tenderness for your vegetables. I like them tender but not mushy.
- Take sautee from the heat, add chopped parsley, stir and voila, done. Enjoy!

*********************************************************************************************************************************
IN PICTURES








No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!