Saturday, June 8, 2013

Easy Chili

This is my own, effortless, way to make chili. It's a vegetarian version, but squeeze in some ground meat somewhere in between steps in a cooking process and you'll have a meat chili. I'm afraid that's the only way I will be cooking chili ever - yes, it's that good.

Blog's Category:   My Own Fast and Easy, My Staple Food

Easy Chili



Intro

I don't even remember when I started to cook chili, but over the years I come to this simple easy but (oh so good) delicious chili that didn't fail for me even once. I guess I know the secret to a good chili - plenty of tomato sauce, plenty of chili powder, cumin and plenty of ..sugar (yes!). All other ingredient come and go, but if you stick to those four I mentioned above - you are destined to have a tasty chili, trust me. Shell we start?

Oh, and another pros for this chili recipe - it is really quick to put together. In an hour or so it will be ready. Honestly, I never understood why some chilies has to be cooked out for hours (?!), is it really healthy for veggies to be cooked that long? I seriously doubt it... As for me, one hour plus after-cook time is long enough for ingredients to "merry".


What is it?

Your basic vegetables - onion, carrot, pepper - plus a lot of beans. All that stewed in a large quantity of sauce which is nothing more than tomato paste, water, cumin, chili powder, bay leaf, some sugar and some sharp seasoning such as cayenne, sriracha or red pepper flakes (though this kicking *** stuff is highly optional).

Taste Description

Delicious! Loved by everyone around, this chili has full-body "chili" taste and at the same time it doesn't kill you as some commercial versions when you take a bite and think "well..this thick and bold concoction.. indigestion's guaranteed".  

My chili has bright sweet-&-sour taste, but light and pleasant at the same time. Optional sour cream, or melting cheese on top, round up and soften chili's gentle flame into harmonious blend of flavors.


How to Serve

Serve hot, or warm (I confess - sometimes I eat it cold and it's good too). Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, or shredded cheese, or green onion, or altogether. This chili will keep in a fridge for several days.

Easy Chili 

 
  • 2 cans of beans of your choice, drained and rinsed
  • 5 tbs olive oil
  • bell pepper, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 c ground meat (highly optional)
  • 2-3 tbs tomato paste
  • 1tbs ground cumin
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 tbs chili powder
  • 2 tbs sugar (adjust quantity to your taste)
  • 1 tsp sriracha (optional)
  • some salt to taste
  • 1-3 bay leaves

- In a large pan (or pot), on a medium heat, cook onion, carrot and pepper until soft (about 10 minutes).

- Add the rest of ingredients and keep it simmering, stirring occasionally for about 30-40 minutes. Add water if needed - it has to be a lot of sauce there. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding more salt, sugar, water or spicy pepper.

- Very important step - enjoy!

*******************************************************************************************************************************
IN PICTURES




I didn't do any color-inhancement on this picture - it must be chili powder that makes red tomato's color much deepper after chili will fully "brew up".
 








No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!