Monday, March 12, 2012

Salted Salmon


Intro
Salted, dry or marinated fish was always popular in former USSR. Usually, at home, we salted more common types of fish such as mackerel. Salmon is a fancy version of homemade salty appetizer.

What is it
Salmon fish fillet cured overnight with salt and some sugar.

How it's served
It served as an appetizer, sliced or swirled in rose-style rolls. Some chopped dill or sesame seeds can be sprinkled on top. It's great to put thick slice on open-face breakfast sandwich with some nice unsalted butter on a white bread or a baguette.

Some side comments
Love it and all in our house love it. It has smooth buttery texture and actually is not that salty (I would say not salty at all). I made it thousand times - it's quick, delicious, healthy and so on.

How to store it
It can be kept in a refrigerator for about 5 days. I usually make whole large fillet and, after curing in a fridge for at least 24 hours (nevertheless you can start to eat itnext day!), I cut it in a half, pat-dry one half, wrap it in a foil, put in a plastic bag and transfer it in a freezer. Whenever I need it, it's easy to cut off a piece - because of the salt, fish is not rock-hard even from the freezer.

Variations
I tried to add dill as some suggest but did not like it. I think pure taste of salmon is the best in this particular case.

SALTED SALMON


1 fillet of salmon
1 heaping tbs of salt per pound of fish
.5 tbs of sugar per pound of fish
- Wash and pat dry fillet.
- In a separate bowl mix salt and sugar in amount calculated according to fish weight
- Distribute salt mixture all over fish evenly slightly rubbing it in.
- Put in a glass container, cover and transfer to refrigerator for several hours or overnight. During this time turn pieces over 2-4 times. You will see that salt liquid formed, just make sure that fish pieces take turn submerging into this liquid.
- In a morning, enjoy and have a happy breakfast!

*********************************************************************************
IN PICTURES

According to my fish weight, I'll use
3 tbs salt and 1.5 tbs of sugar
In a couple of hours some salted liquid will appear. It will be reabsorbed later on.




2 comments:

  1. How long does it lasts in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will definitely last for 2-3 days, after that I usually rely on my nose :).
    Usually I make two whole fillets (one fish) and, after being brined/salted in a fridge for a one day, I cut it into 4-8 servings pieces, pat it dry, then fold each piece in aluminum foil and store them in a freezer. They keep there for at least two months. Whenever I need it, I pull it out of the freezer and slice it up right away as it's not rock hard and with a chefs knife it's totally doable. Those slices becomes soft and ready to eat in a matter of minutes.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!