Monday, January 28, 2013

Guilt Free Biscotti

Blog's Category: My Staple Food

Guilt Free Biscotti

Intro
I make this biscotti often. Whenever I crave something baked, sweet for my tea-time or if I need to supply my college student with some healthy and long-lasting treats - I turn up to this recipe. I have to mention the best part of the recipe - it is super easy, just mix everything together, no chopping, no fridge timeouts and it's also fat-free not counting of course fat-containing nuts which are good for you anyway. Turned out it is my favorite cookie/pastry thing. Give it a try and you will see why it is so.

Variations
- Use nuts and dry fruits that you like. Try to stay away from fruits that are too dry (or soak them previously and then pat dry nicely). Also I stopped using  figs in this biscotti because they give "sandy" crunch to it which most people don't like (though I love dry figs by itself!).

Also you can substitute part of fruits or nuts with chunks of chocolate. As well, you can substitute part of whole wheat flour with a ground flax seeds (or another ground seeds you like).

Taste Description
These biscotti is perfect on a sweetness level - not too sweet but sweet enough to go well with a cup of sugar-less tea or coffee. Depending on the nuts and fruits used, you will experience waves of different flavors and textures.

How to Store
It can be stored in a container, at room temperature, for several days. It may harden up a little bit but still be good. As baked, I like to cut it in 1.5" squares and have it handy whenever I need little "something" for my cup of tea of coffee.

Guilt Free Biscotti

For about 20 small biscotti:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 2 cups dry raw fruits (apricots, raisin, cherries, cranberries, etc.) whole, not chopped
  • 2 cups nuts (walnuts, almonds) whole, not chopped
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 c unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp brandy
  • vanilla extract
  • olive oil (optional) for oiling baking sheets.
- Preheat oven to 350F.

- Mix flours, salt, soda and baking powder together and set aside.

- Whisk together eggs, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Add nuts and fruits to the egg mixture. Stir.

- Add flour mixture to the egg/nuts/fruits mixture. Stir to combine everything nicely. Add brandy, stir again. You will get somewhat thick mixture (well, mostly nuts and fruits with specks of dough :)).

- Cover baking sheet with a foil or parchment paper. Oil lightly with an olive oil. With your hand still oily, distribute dough mixture on a baking sheet in a thin, about 1/2 -1 ", layer.

- Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until your biscotti sheet is brown, has risen up and toothpick comes out dry.

- Remove from the oven and let it cool down for 10-15 minutes and then cut in a 1.5" squares. Enjoy!

*********************************************************************************************************************************
IN PICTURES


This time I used filbert nuts and almonds, apricots, cranberries, raisin and figs (which I regret  - those were tough, dry and "sandy" to a tooth). Nevertheless, biscotti disappeared quickly and I have just memory of them right now :) 

I wasn't accurate in flour measurements this time and got too much flour (so, stick to the recipe please). Biscotti were a bit tougher because of this but still very good.

Also, I didn't have brandy - used peach schnapps..still good :)



It's a bit messy to get it on a baking sheet - do not try to be too presize layering the dough. It will expand and make itself more even.

Ready to go to the oven

.. and out of the oven

Cut it up using sharp thin-bladed knife.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!