- Wash off salt from a cod fillet and soak it for at least 24 hours in a pot with cold water. Keep it in a fridge and change water couple time during this 24 hour period.
- Place cod in a pot with fresh cold water and, on a high heat, bring it to a boil. Take off the heat immediately and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Fish out cod to a plate and flake it with a fork.
- Place flaked cod, garlic and 1/3 of olive oil in a food processor and process taking turns with adding remaining olive oil and cream. It should take a minute or two. Adjust pate by adding more cream or olive oil.
- Add some freshly ground black pepper and you've done - you have delicious pate you can use in various ways (see suggestions below)!
Toast giabatta bread slices, then rub 'em generously with garlic, spread your pate and serve with marinated pepper on a side. It will make great appetizer course (see picture below).
..or just place piece of marinated pepper right on top
Or sneak some buttery carrot puree underneath..
Or mix your sauteed cabbage melange leftovers with some cooked rice, drop brandade on a top and place in a toaster-oven for about 10-15 minutes to heat and brown up on a top. I had a perfect breakfast this way (below) :)
It was pretty tasty with my tomato sauce I was making for fried wontons couple days ago. It was my lunch -yum-m..
I also tried brandade (pate) with caramelized onions, leftovers from my wontons too :)
Toasting Brandade de Morue gives you this awesome thready crunch on a top and makes pate juicier and more delicious.