Saturday, October 5, 2013

Corn Chowder

My version of corn chowder is light on calories and heavy on flavors. Cooked with a fresh corn, it's a heaven for corn lovers like me and perfect facilitator for drifting into cold weather season.

Blog's Category:  Awesome Findings, My Own Fast and Easy, Vegetarian    

 



Intro

I love corn. How it happened that I never cooked corn chowder before? Anyway, when I tried to research on a subject, turned out that all recipe seemed to be too heavy on calories. While I have nothing against heavy cream and actually adore it (in some recipes it's irreplaceable!), at this moment, I didn't want my chowder be overloaded with calories and wanted it still be flavorful and comfy dish as chowder should be. Below is the result of whatever I got off this. I'm so-o-o satisfied with my version of chowder that though it would be a crime not to document it here ;)


What is it?

Again, it's "minimalistic" chowder with a "maximalistic" amount of corn. Potato, sweet and hot fresh red peppers, onion, celery and fresh thyme are included. That's it!

Taste Description

It's a little bit sweet but awesomely savory soup with a nice kick to it (thanks to fresh hot chili pepper!). Potato makes it smooth and old basic onion, celery and sweet bell peppers give it that layered comforting flavors we all like in soups. Thyme brings a bit of sophistication and excitement to the entire bouquet of flavors.
How to Serve

 It's best when it's hot - it's chowder! It will keep in your fridge for several days.


Corn Chowder



  • 6 fresh corn ears
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 large potatoes, diced into 0.5" pieces
  • 4 celery ribs, finely chopped (1/3" cubes)
  • 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped (1/3" cubes)
  • 1-2 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 2 tbs fresh thyme (leaves)
  • 3 (0.5" size) chicken stock cubes (optional, or sub with "real" chicken broth)
  • salt (to taste)
  • black pepper (to taste)
  • 1 gallon of water
  • 2-3 tbs ghee (or olive oil)
- To make your life easier do all your prep work first - chopping, stripping and dicing.

- Now, relax and cook: in a large pot cook onion, with a ghee, for a couple of minutes until soft.

- Add corn and cook stirring for 1-2 minutes.

- Add potato, celery, chicken broth (cubes), water and salt. Bring to a boil. Turn heat lower and simmer for about 20-30 minutes until potato is fully cooked.

- Using immersion blender, partially blend soup until you will get level of creaminess you like.

- Add bell pepper, hot pepper, black pepper and half of your thyme. Simmer for 10 minutes. Turn heat off - done! Serve with a pinch of thyme, enjoy!


Note

With this amount of chili pepper, you will get medium-low level of spiciness, so, adjust accordingly. Also please understand that my "medium-low" definition is so-o-o subjective :)
*******************************************************************************************************************************
IN PICTURES


After you cut corn off ears, don't forget to run over those ears with a back of your knife to squeeze out the "other half" of kernels where all the flavor or corn seats :)

At your right - bell pepper; at your left - fresh fresno chili pepper from my garden. This chili pepper is the only vegetable in my garden that didn't let me down this year - it still hangs up so pretty on its tiny but mighty bushes. Unfortunately I can't brag about my tomatoes though :( - poor babies suffered either from a long runs of rains or from my soil which is still half-clay despite my efforts to nourish it with loads of nice store-bought garden soil.

This thyme is from a pot on my deck. My thyme plant is tough there, it has survived my occasional neglect and looks beautiful even now, going into October.

I wish I could have nicer camera to make artistic picture of it...
 
I really like usage of ghee for soups and stews. It brings more flavor than olive oil and withstands higher temperatures. It's also, I believe, much healthier than butter (though, guilty, taste-wise butter is on top of any fats, butters and oils for me).



I like convenience of using chicken broth cubes. It's up to you to use them or store-bought chicken broth (which "real" feature I'd doubt too). Also, there is always an option to make your own chicken stock or use plain water instead!

Aren't colors pretty?


With my immersion blender, I would say, I've made medium level of creamynness for my chowder. Next time I'll try "high" level.





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!