Thursday, October 3, 2013

Zucchini Pancakes

I make zucchini pancakes often - it's easy, healthy, cheap and everyone loves it. Minimum ingredients - maximum satisfaction.

Blog's Category: Hors D'oeuvre, My Staple Food, Perfect Breakfast,

 

Intro

I'm trying to remember when I started to make zucchini pancakes and couldn't remember - it goes back in times to far to catch the moment I liked those green and tender pancakes.

There is too many versions of them but I like this bare minimum ingredients I use for my zucchini pancakes. This minimalist version allows gentle, delicate taste of zucchini to shine.

I'm a big admirer of minimalistic approach in a kitchen. It makes us appreciate (sometimes discover!) the unique taste of a single ingredient. Do you know original taste of eggplant stripped off numerous seasoning agents it usually cooked with? I know! Knowing that distinct flavor of one single vegetable, or meat, or fish will give you an idea of the best pairing for it. It's often takes just a two - star ingredient and perfect companion to create something unforgettable.

Actually I would like to apply this minimalism to everything around - room design, clothing, trip packing, etc. Though in real life I've found this unpractical as my thirst for trying something new and exciting clashes at my minimalistic theory and I often find myself in a middle of "anti-minimalistic" closet or with a suitcase full of clothes I'm not going to wear :(


What is it?

Shredded zucchini, with a couple of spoons of flour and egg, mixed together and fried in a shape of small pancakes.

 
Taste Description

You will definitely taste unmasked delicate zucchini flavor. Just a hint of black pepper adds a little zing to it. Texture is harmoniously fits to it - tender and juicy, it has that crispy fried goodness on outside - especially crunchy are those "legs" of shredded zucchini sticking out from a pancake. That's why I like to use coarse grater to have a plenty of those "legs" ;)

How to Serve

 Serve right off the skillet - they are best eaten right away. Zucchini pancakes are great on its own but we like to eat them with a dollop of cold sour cream. Contrasting combination of cold sour cream and hot and crispy pancake is a bingo to me.


Zucchini Pancakes


 
For about 25 pancakes:
  • 2 zucchini, shredded coarsely
  • egg
  • 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • black pepper
  • 5 tbs flour
  • olive oil for frying
- Shred zucchini using coarse grater. Add salt, mix and let it sit for a 5-10 minutes.

- Squeeze shredded zucchini nicely to get rid of excess of moisture/juice. Discard liquid.

- Add egg, black pepper and flour. Mix all together.

- Spoon zucchini mixture on a medium hot skillet, flattening each pancake with a spoon. Cook on medium-low, pancakes have to sizzle just a little bit. I like to use fork to flip them over. Do not make large pancakes, they have to be 3-4" in diameter. Otherwise it will be hard to flip them over.

- Serve hot or warm, with a sour cream. Enjoy!

*******************************************************************************************************************************
IN PICTURES


I pressed zucchini off a side of my prep bowl to get rid of juices.



With a two skillets on, it's a brisk task...




Fork is my favorite "flip-over" tool.

Aren't they beautifully greenishly pretty? My son who stays away from zucchini in any shape and form LOVES these pancakes. Hearing "yes, there is zucchini in it" he stopped just for a second, then shook his head and continued his business of enjoying right-from-pan pancake-eating.

Where is my sour cream?! Photo session was too hectic, pancakes were disappearing freakishly fast...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!