Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Asian Style Coleslaw

As cabbage is one of my favorite vegetables, I always have cabbage in my fridge, cook a lot with cabbage and of course make often cabbage salads of different types. This is one of the variations of my cabbage salads. It is oriental style salad - there is ginger, and miso, and sesame seeds in there. In combination with avocado and possibly with croutons it can make a nice fulfilling, though not over-loaded, dinner.

Asian Style Coleslaw


Serves 4

Main Ingredients:

4 cups shredded red cabbage
4 cups shredded white cabbage 
avocados
Dressing:

4 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 inch of ginger root
1 tbs shiro miso
pinch of salt
4 tbs rice vinegar 
4 tbs olive oil
2 tbs black of white roasted sesame seeds
1 tbs sugar 
dab or korean chili paste for kick or some red pepper flakes (optional)

- On a dry skillet, roast your sesame seeds (if they are not roasted already) until they start to jump up in a air. Be careful not to burn them, especially black ones :). Shake seeds on a frying pan often. For me, it took about 7 minutes to roast 1 cup of seeds.

- Shred your cabbage if it's not shredded already (here is my favorite tool for this).

- Make a dressing. I like to use immersion blender for this. Blender comes with very convenient cup and a lid. I throw all, very roughly chopped, ingredients into cup, press button and, practically instantly, dressing is done. Then I use as much dressing as I need, cover leftovers with a lid and pop it in a fridge for future use. Minimal cleaning and washing!

- Mix cabbage with dressing. 

- Serve, generously sprinkled with sesame seeds and diced avocado on a side.

- Enjoy it with croutons or without - in any case it is avocadoey-smooth cabbagey-crunch goodness!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!